Do I need a visa to visit?

How cold is it in Edmonton in March?

  • Temperatures in Edmonton range from a daytime high of 0 celsius to -7 celsius at night, on average.

How much snow does Edmonton get in March?

  • Edmonton averages about 26 centimetres of snowfall in March.

Is it safe for me to walk outside in the winter?

  • It is recommended that you bring warm boots with rubber soles, a warm winter coat, hat, scarf and gloves to Edmonton. You can also purchase these items in Edmonton.

What kinds of clothes should I bring?

  • Aside from the clothes mentioned above, you will want to bring indoor shoes as well as a sweater or shawl for evening. Layers of clothing are highly recommended as you move from outside to inside.

What kind of money does Canada use?

  • Canada uses the Canadian dollar.
  • Denominations of currency are in $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 coins/bills.

Where can I exchange my money?

Can I use my bank card in Canada?

  • Major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) are accepted across Canada.
  • Debit cards with the Cirrus or PLUS symbol are accepted everywhere.

Are there any wild animals in Edmonton?

  • Edmonton’s river valley is home to a variety of wildlife including deer, birds and raptors, coyotes, beaver, skunks and occasionally racoons. Sightings of moose or cougars are rare. Please do not approach or feed any wildlife.

What language do most people speak in Edmonton?

  • The majority of Edmonton residents speak English; however, you will also find residents who speak French, Tagalog, Cantonese, Punjabi, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Ukrainian and German.
  • Indigenous residents of Edmonton may speak dialects of Algonquian, Athabascan, Dene and Siouan.

What number do I dial in an emergency?

  • For all emergencies dial 911.

What hospitals are in Edmonton? What kinds of services do they provide?

  • University of Alberta Hospital*
  • Grey Nuns Community Hospital
  • Misericordia Community Hospital
  • Royal Alexandra Hospital*
  • Stollery Children’s Hospital*

* Trauma Centre

For non-emergency medical attention, visit a local Medicentre.

Visitors to Canada are encouraged to have travel health insurance.